Sunday 28 October 2012

Hair cuts

The average woman spends in excess of £400 per year on hair cuts!  I spend £208 per year on hair cuts for my whole family and below I will share my secrets. 
 

I go to a salon for a wet cut every 5/6 weeks.  I think a good hairdresser is essential for women & I fully accept that hairdressers have years of training & experience behind them & if you want a great hair cut this is the place to go.  A wet cut is a hair cut without the blow dry although, my very kind hairdresser does rough dry my hair for me so I don't leave the salon with dripping wet locks. This is significantly cheaper than a cut and blow dry.  I just ensure I have my hair cut last thing when I'm out and that I have time to zip home and dry it properly.  If you have long hair bring a hair tie and plait your damp hair for nice loose waves.  

However when it comes to simple cuts hair cuts why not do it yourself?  After all you wouldn't think twice about cutting your nails at home.  I cut the girls hair myself and my husband cuts his own hair.  In order to do this yourself you will need to invest in a few tools we bought this kit several year ago and it has paid for itself several times over already.  My husband uses the clippers to cut his own hair & I trim his neck and around his ears when he's done.  The kit comes with some proper hair dressing scissors which I use to do the girls hair.  Special hair dressing scissors are essential for cutting hair - don't attempt to use your kitchen scissors or paper scissors you will not get very pleasing results.  Keep your hair dressing scissors nice and sharp for best results.  I also bought some of those clips hairdressers use to section you hair when cutting it in the salon - these are widely available from chemists & supermarkets.  I am no hair cutting expert but here are a few tips I have picked up along the way
  • Cut hair when it's wet - it is easier.
  • Start at the front to get the lenght you want and then work towards the back.
  • Don't just cut through hair in a straight line take a small section and run the comb through it.  Pause about 1/1.5 inch from the end and trim to the desired length.  Comb through to the ends but keep holding the section of hair.  Flip the hair upwards so the ends splay out and, with the scissors make  quick, shallow snips down into the hair to soften the blunt ends.
  • Cut lower sections of hair fractionally shorter than the top section to avoid hair looking too thick. 
  • In order to ensure the same lenght all the way round.  include a small piece of already cut hair from the previous section in your new section of hair.  Use the already cut hair as a guide being careful not to cut it again.
If the above technique sounds a bit daunting for your 1st attempt try this.  Take a small section of hair and twist it from the top to the bottom this will make the ends splay out (this technique works really well for tidying up split ends between cuts at the salon.  I am told models use this technique to keep their hair looking sharp & freshly styled all the time) trim the ends to the desired lenght, continue like this all the way around.



My best tip is go at it with confident!  I often get half way through & start worrying that it's going to look bad but once I've checked it over and tidied it up at the end it looks great.  It really isn't too hard - I've not had any disasters yet! 

 

4 comments:

  1. I never tried cutting myself alone and I wish someday I can and wish to buy that kit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thank you so much for your comment. It's a little daunting at first but I hope you'll give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Ooh fab! I am terrible at making hair appointments - my last cut was in July - yet it lifts the spirits so much. Thank you Simone - great idea, as always! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Fi. You should tackle your boys hair to get some practice ;)

      Delete